There’s no better way to ensure that your dog is getting exactly what he/she needs in their diet than making meals for your dog. But for some, the idea of hand-making meals is just another thing we don’t have enough hours in the day for. That’s why when selecting the recipes we ensured that they were simple enough to make, both in regards to the ingredients and the time and steps to make them. And we’ve already done the research for you so click through our list of amazing recipes and bookmark your favorites! Remember to keep any dietary restrictions (like food allergies) in mind, and be sure to talk to your vet about the switch to homemade meals and how it could affect your pup.
We call this meal by Damn Delicious the “OLD STANDARD” because it’s made up of ingredients you’ve likely seen in many a homemade dog meal – brown rice, turkey, and veggies. It’s healthy, easy to make, and inexpensive. This is also the perfect meal to make in large batches and then freeze as single servings you can thaw for days and days!
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup peas, canned or frozen
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- In a large saucepan of 3 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks.
- Stir in spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas, and brown rice until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated for about 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool completely.